It is currently an election year that is more polarizing than any I have ever seen in my life. I am taking this moment to tell everyone within the sound of my voice that the key for our nation is not the right president! I ask you now, what president in the last twenty years has made the positive difference for our nation that they promised? So here is my list of reasons that I am going to concentrate hard on lifting up Jesus much more than any candidate.
1. Jesus is full of grace and truth. No one else can find this balance like Jesus. He came to this earth to show us what the amazing balance of a perfectly lived life looks like. The bible says of Jesus in John 1:14, “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (NIV)
2. Jesus knows how to help the children, bring peace and the help the poor in the best way. He advocates for each of us to take a personal interest and to be actively involved in caring for other people.
Matthew 18:5-6 “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.” (NIV)
John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (NIV)
Matthew 25:44-45 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’” (NIV)
3. Jesus knows each of us intimately and cares about every area of our lives.
Luke 12:6-7 “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (NIV)
4. Jesus changes lives for the better for everyone who will turn to Him. He promises to help each of us in our individual lives. Whatever area of our lives we need help in, if we will submit that area to Jesus, He will make it better.
Matthew 11:28-29 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (NIV)
5. Jesus will never fail us. Kings and presidents all have flaws and failures to some degree. King Jesus will never fail you.
The Bible says:
Hebrews 13:5b “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” (NIV)
Hebrews 4:15-16 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are- yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (NIV)
6. Jesus is the ultimate source of power and there is no higher authority!
Ephesians 1:19-23 I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms. Now he is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else; not only in this world but also in the world to come. God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church. And the church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself. (NLT)
7. Jesus is the only one who has and will ever exist who can guarantee that our future is wonderful for eternity. This is because:
A. He is God.
John 10: “I and the Father are one.” (NIV)
B. He is the author of life.
John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. (NIV)
C. He is the only one who can give us eternal life.
John 3:16-19 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. (NIV)
Acts 4:12 “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” (NIV)
In this election cycle, I will concede that the people who know Jesus best are the ones who will represent Him best. So I encourage you to keep that in mind as you check your ballots in November. But also keep in mind that no candidate can ever bring the peace, covering, blessing and security that you and I need. Only Jesus can do that! So if you really want to make an amazing difference for your family, city, church, nation or even the world, I encourage you to vote for Jesus by the way you speak and the way you live. Ultimately, He is the only one who you can fully place your trust in!
Grace and Truth,
Pastor Stan Russell